Cloud storage involves storing of the user’s files on the cloud service provider’s remote servers. It is an act of sharing resources between the cloud solution provider and the end user. A cloud service, which typically comes with consumer-oriented Internet-based mobile applications, provides data storage facility to its users, leaving an economical and affordable option for companies to “go digital” and “paperless”. Lately, the technology is gaining wide appeal across individual users, corporate and data centers.
An Overview to Cloud Backups :
Cloud Backups help boost an organisation’s data protection strategy by transmitting identical copies to an offsite server. Cloud companies offer differential pricing based on data limits, bandwidth, and number of users.
Why Backing Up Files on Cloud is Critical?
Your cloud backups are stored on a remote server that protects your information from catastrophic events such as robbery, fire, natural disasters and computing uncertainties like accidental data loss, computer boot failure and virus infection.
Why Traditional Backup Alternatives are Held Obsolete?
- Your hard disk may get corrupt or eventually “die” due to bad sectors, frequent power failure
- An optical disc (CD/ DVD) containing your backup may get scratched, making it impossible to recover data
- Floppy drives are inadequate due to their limited data storage capacity
- Some might find it inconvenient to carry external hard disks everywhere, esp. while travelling
- There is a risk of damaging and breaking an external hard disc if it gets accidentally dropped
- Data stored on USB flash drives may become irrecoverable if you do not regularly use the Safely Remove feature, or if someone accidentally formats it.
Is Cloud Secure?
Cloud companies offer an incredible File Encryption and secure transfer connection, making it difficult for intruders to even track or monitor transmitted information. Although there can be marginal drawbacks in customer support, the data will NEVER be shared with third parties.
The Best Cloud Backup Service in 2016-17
- Nero BackItUp is a cloud backup service from Nero, world’s leading multimedia company with many award winning software products.
- Freeware users get upto 5GB of storage space while premium users get unlimited storage space to store their backups.
- The service which was initially launched in late 2009, allows maximum 5 connections from 5 different computers.
- The premium version comes with many interesting add-on features.
- Nero BackItUp has a backup synchronisation client which perfectly runs on Windows PC & Windows Smartphone, Mac, Linux, Android Smartphones and iPhone.
- It supports file sharing between the maximum permitted users.
- There is also a complete disk backup feature which protects all data and files stored on a partition.
- Once you have backed up your important data on the cloud, you don’t need to worry even if uncertain circumstances spell the end of files stored on local computer.
- Make sure that the backups are scheduled at regular time intervals so as to reflect any changes that you might have made after the last backup.
While you’ve moved your data to cloud, do not forget to dedupe files. Use an intelligent service/product such as the Clone Files Checker to fix cloud duplicate files.